In today’s Inspired By column, instead of showing you how I’m inspired by a celebrity look, I’m bringing you a new way to shop the items that inspire you. eBay just came out with a new personal shopping assistant called eBay Shop Bot. It’s a really cool tool where you take or upload a photo of an item that you’re coveting and chat with a virtual assistant on Facebook Messenger to find the exact or similar item to purchase online.
Here’s the gist:
- Download the Facebook Messenger app
- Add “eBay Shopbop” as a friend
- Take a photo of an item you are interested in buying (you can take a picture of something a celebrity is wearing in a magazine or an item a friend is wearing over lunch!)
- Chat with your personal eBay shopping assistant about sizing, pricing and colors to get customized options
- Heart your favorites to compare then buy!
I tried out the tool with these cool sunglasses and found an amazing vintage pair on eBay. A few tips when using the tool: 1. Try to photograph the item on a clean background. And 2. Customize a size profile so you can get the exact results you’re looking for. Simply input your sizes under your profile and press save. The more you use the app, the more the shopping assistant learns about you to suggest the ideal pieces.
Try it out and let me know what you think!
Photos by Michelle Kyle
*Thank you to eBay and Style Coalition for partnering on this post.