August 1, 2012

Travel: A Week in Hawaii

[portfolio_slideshow]
I’m still having Hawaii withdrawals. Before heading to Honolulu for a wedding, I went to Maui for five days with my boyfriend. It could not have been a more perfect vacation. Since many of you on Twitter had asked for recommendations on where to go, I figured I’d put together a little travel diary. For more pics, follow me on Instagram at @sydnesummer! And keep reading for hotel & restaurant links…

Hotels
Makena Beach & Golf Resort: Makena is right below Wailea in Maui. The resort is a quick shuttle ride away from the large resorts and shops at Wailea, and is very affordable  I loved how private the place felt. Even though there were three weddings the first night we stayed, it was still an incredibly relaxed environment. The private beach was also a major plus. If you stay, I recommend doing the breakfast package, which treated us to a delicious buffet every morning after our jog or paddle boarding session. Another bonus? Everyone from the valet to waiters and concierge is so incredibly nice!

Sheraton Princess Kailulani: We stayed at the Sheraton because it’s a Starwood Hotel. The location in Waikiki is ideal, walking distance from all the restaurants and shops. Having come from romantic Maui, it was certainly a change considering the hotel is huge. But for the price, I was happy with our choice. I would highly recommend spending the extra money for an ocean or pool view.

Restaurants
Mama’s Fish House: A few friends told me you must eat at this restaurant first thing after leaving the airport. And I’m thrilled I did! It’s a dreamy welcome to Maui with the freshest ceviche and sashimi I’ve tasted in a while. Plus, you can’t beat the view!

Nick’s Fishmarket: Located in the Fairmont Kealani Maui, Nick’s is a delicious seafood restaurant, great for groups or a more romantic dinner. We both had the Chef’s selection sashimi and day boat catch, which was mouth-watering. While I’m not usually a big desert person I was told the Strawberries Panzini is a must. And it was. A waiter expertly flambéed fresh strawberries at our table, which were later dipped into chocolate, brown sugar and cream.

Old Lahaina Luau: Having never been to a luau, I wasn’t sure what to expect. But we were told Old Lahaina is one of the most traditional. People reserve seats months in advance. We got lucky with a last minute cancelation. You’re welcomed with a Mai Tai and the drinks flow for the rest of the evening alongside the water. There is an abundance of traditional Hawaiian fare and a fantastic show! By the end of the evening I was convinced I wanted to move to Maui and become a hula dancer. It certainly is the perfect picture spot to document your vacation.

For more pics from Hawaii, check out the t-shirt dress Staples Series I did on the islands!

1. Adriana commented:

Great photos! And I like how honest your reviews are. I’m going to Hawaii next summer. Never heard of Makena before. I will look into it!

Published
    Notice: Undefined variable: comment_ID in /home/nginx/domains/sydnestyle.com/public/wp-content/themes/sydnestyle2018/comment.php on line 30
    8.1.12
  2. Kelly Golightly commented:

Love it! Have been dying to go to Maui. Great to have some insider recommendations.

8.1.12
  3. Bella commented:

Hey, what about an apostille? My foreign entity must accept and approve what is generated by the Secretary of State in the apostille process. Sometimes, what we need to do to get an apostille or authentication completed by the Secretary of State does not mesh with the expectations of your foreign agency.

9.16.22
  4. Linda commented:

When I flew on one trip, I needed certified documents. Only I didn’t know which company to contact to have an apostille made for me. My friend travels a lot and he studied abroad. That’s why he advised me to use Notary Services Manhattan. He said they have excellent service. You know, they did everything for me quickly.

9.16.22
  5. Elisa commented:

11.6.22
  6. poul commented:

My friend travels a lot and he studied abroad. That’s why he advised me to use Notary Services Manhattan. He said they have excellent service. You know, they did everything for me quickly. James Bond island tour price

8.31.23
  7. Starc commented:

Sometimes, what we need to do to get an apostille or authentication completed by the Secretary of State does not mesh with the expectations of your foreign agency. Asia Bike Tour

9.10.23
  8. Poul commented:

When I flew on one trip, I needed certified documents. Only I didn’t know which company to contact to have an apostille made for me. My friend travels a lot and he studied abroad. That’s why he advised me to use Notary Services Manhattan. He said they have excellent service. keta

9.13.23
  9. Starc commented:

The simplest thing is to find amazing discoveries, and those places that impressed you the most, plan a trip there. I do this often and it makes Hawaii a great place to stay. keta

9.13.23
  10. STARC commented:

Reach out to multiple transportation providers and inquire about their rates for airport transfers. Lafayette Indiana airport transportation Reach out to multiple transportation providers and inquire about their rates for airport transfers.

9.23.23
  11. POUL commented:

When I flew on one trip, I needed certified documents. Only I didn’t know which company to contact to have an apostille made for me. My friend travels a lot and he studied abroad. That’s why he advised me to use Notary Services Manhattan. He said they have excellent service. how to become a travel agent

9.28.23
  12. Alex commented:

Spending a week in Hawaii is a dream come true. From the stunning beaches to the lush landscapes, there’s something for everyone. Whether you’re exploring volcanoes, snorkeling in crystal-clear waters, or simply relaxing on the beach, Hawaii offers a perfect blend of adventure and relaxation. lynmouth devon

3.17.24
  13. Sarah commented:

That’s why he advised me to use Notary Services Manhattan. He said they have excellent service. You know, they did everything for me quickly. Oceanfront villas in Sardinia

5.2.24