I always say I’m not a desert person but I am an ice cream person. I especially love banana splits. When I was touring colleges with my mom in high school, we had a fun tradition of ordering banana splits for room service at every hotel during our trip. But that was when I had a teenager’s metabolism. These days, I get my ice cream fix through lower calorie options like frozen yogurt. I stumbled upon Rachel Schultz’s fried honey banana recipe on Pinterest and thought it would make the perfect topping for a “healthier” banana split, or what I like to call a naked banana split. I now eat this any time I have an ice cream craving.
Naked Banana Split
- 2 bananas, under ripe or just ripe
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Olive oil
- Vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt
- Cut bananas into 1-2 inch pieces
- Mix 1 tablespoon honey and 1 tablespoon of water into bowl
- Drizzle olive oil onto pan and cook bananas over medium-high heat for a bout 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown
- Mix bananas into honey water mixture
- Serve bananas over ice cream and sprinkle with cinnamon
- It’s really important for the bananas to be under or just ripe. Otherwise they’ll turn into a mushy mess.
- I like to use frozen yogurt for a lower calorie alternative. But I tried the bananas over Talenti Caramel Cookie Crunch gelato one time and it was out of this world!
- The bananas are also great on their own. You can serve them with toothpicks as a snack when you have friends over.
Let me know if you try out this yummy desert!