Living in California for the past 16 years, I’ve become quite obsessed with fish tacos. My favorite is Baja style fish tacos, which is usually a white fish with cabbage and creamy white sauce. It’s oh so yummy and also oh too often fried. Trying to stick with a healthier diet this year (key word: trying!), I’ve been working on perfecting my own version of the fish tacos.
I took many elements from this Blackened Tilapia Tacos recipe I found on Pinterest. Since I’m not a huge fan of onions, I skipped that and instead created a slaw that I often end up eating on it’s own. It’s so simple and delicious! I usually serve the tacos with my Mexican Street Corn as a side dish. It’s the perfect meal for Taco Tuesday!
Healthy Fish Tacos with Cabbage Slaw
- 1 1/2 lbs fish
- 5 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup diced green onions
- 1 jalepeño
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 lemons – juiced
- 2 limes – juiced
- 1 avocado
- Slice the fish in half and place in a large plastic bag
- Mix in garlic, paprika, cumin, brown sugar, lemon juice and a touch of salt and pepper and place bag in fridge
- Mix cabbage, sour cream, cilantro, green onions, jalepeño and lime juice in large bowl and set aside
- Slice up avocado and set aside
- Spray large pan with cooking spray and cook fish on high heat for about 3 minutes on each side
- Heat up tortillas
- Plate tacos with fish, then slaw and a slice of avocado with cilantro for garnish
- This recipe is great to make ahead of time! I’ll often prepare everything late at night and let the fish marinate overnight. Then just cook the fish quickly before dinner the next day.
- As for the fish: I’ve made this recipe with tilapia, halibut and sole. It really depends on your preference and budget. My two favorites were definitely the tilapia and halibut.
- If you’re heating up the tortillas in the microwave, place them between damp paper towels so they don’t dry out.
If you make this dish for you next Taco Tuesday let me know how it goes!
Plates: Pottery Barn
Rings: Gorjana and Catherine Weitzman