Happy Valentine’s Day! I already shared my thoughts about Valentine’s Day last week—there is so much pressure! I was going to go out with some girlfriends tonight but we all decided to stay in. And I’m not upset about it whatsoever. I’m finally recovering from my cold and don’t want to push myself on a night that is bound to be extra crowded.
So Bunny and I will be doing be doing what we’ve done for the past week: chilling on the couch in front of the TV. I honestly don’t usually watch too much television aside from my favorite shows (This Is US, The Handmaid’s Tale and Ray Donovan). But this past week has made me quite the expert on what’s streaming right now. I feel like I’ve watched everything!
Whether you’re in the mood for a movie or to binge on a TV show here are my top recommendations on what to watch if you’re home alone this Valentine’s Day:
- Florence Foster Jenkins: I love anything with Meryl Streep and she is just fabulous in this role as the worst opera singer in history. I could not stop laughing. And Hugh Grant is just dreamy as he has always been, making him the perfect Valentine’s Day date.
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel: I’m not big into watching comedy shows on TV but after this show won so many awards this season I decided to give it a try. And I’m so glad I did! For starters, the late 1950s fashion is fabulous. I immediately fell in love with the main character: a housewife who falls into comedy after her husband leaves her. It’s uplifting, funny, witty and a great reminder that you can do anything you put your mind to.
- Bring it On: Okay, I know it’s a little cheesy but I absolutely adore this movie! I was never a cheerleader, nor do I have interest in cheerleading. But I found the comedy to be just as entertaining now as it was when I first watched in in the early 2000s.
- Gossip Girl: If you loved Gossip Girl as much as I did when it came out, you have to watch it again now that you’re older. It’s just as fabulous the second time around, but in a different way. You’re no longer envious of Blair and Serena’s lives… you now find everything so over the top that you can’t help but chuckle.
- Heathers: I could not believe when my friend told me she had never watched Heathers. If you’ve never seen the ’80s cult classic then ignore everything else I wrote and watch this movie tonight! The Winona Ryder and Christian Slater dark comedy is like a twisted prequel to Mean Girl. It’s fabulously weird and I bet you’ll get some movie refernces you never realized before.
- Broad City: I have a love/hate relationship with this Comedy Central show. My friend had me start watching it and I would cringe every five minutes. But beneath the crude sexual references and embarrassing moments of two crazy 20-somethings living in NYC, the humor is beyond witty and full of women empowerment. And it makes sense. Amy Poehler is the producer.
Now go pour yourself a glass of wine, cuddle up on the couch and have a fabulous Valentine’s Day!
Photos by Vanessa Tierney