People are often surprised to learn that I’m only 5’3 (and a half). They often say, but you look so much taller! My trick? One, posture. I did ballet when I was a kid and Pilates as an adult. I could not recommend Pilates more for lengthening. Two? Fashion! Here are some of my go-to easy style hacks when it comes to how to look taller and slimmer:
Tuck in Your Top
The majority of the time, you’ll find me with my top tucked in. As you can see from the photos above, it instantly lengthens your body, even when wearing flats! This works for the majority of body types. If you’re trying to hide your midsection, however, I would skip this tip.
opt for higher waist jeans & pants
I know low-rise is back in fashion. But to be honest, the trend makes me cringe. Yes, I wore it in high school and college. But now that I know better? Never again! Higher waist bottoms make your legs look so much longer. The lower the waist, the more it chops up your body. The only exception? If you have a short torso.
match your accessories to your clothing
When you want to look taller, the goal is to lengthen. So you never want to break up your body. Want to wear a belt? No problem! Just have it match your clothing so it doesn’t cut your body in half.
When it doubt, go monochromatic
Monochromatic dressing aka wearing one color from head to toe is a fool-proof way to look taller… and slimmer! And it doesn’t matter the color. This works with any color, even white. Need some tips on monochromatic dressing? It’s one of my favorite fashion tips so I have a bunch of blog posts on it:
- Tips for Monochromatic Outfits in the Summer
- How to Wear Monochromatic Winter White
- 16 Monochromatic Outfit Ideas
Prefer video? I did a reels on how to look taller over on Instagram!
- Cami: sold but love this one and similar here
- High Rise Jeans: AGolde (they come is so many different washes!)
- Flat Sandals: Ann Taylor (sold out in my exact color but they come in pearl & green or black, red & gold)
- Wide Leg Pants: sold out but similar here and here
- White Belt: vintage but similar here, here and here
- Nude pumps: Sam Edelman
- Blazer: sold out but similar here and here