I usually attend my friend’s festive brunch every year on Pride weekend. But because of Covid, she couldn’t have her normal gathering. But we still wanted to celebrate love and equality. So we each created colorful makeup looks and had a small social distancing happy hour in my courtyard. It also happened to be National Rosé Day. So I made frosé with rosé wine and sorbet. It was the perfect celebratory afternoon. Here are our looks:
After getting inspired by a few images I found on Pinterest, I decided to try out a rainbow crystal lip. I’m usually pretty minimal with my makeup. So I obviously did not have tons of colorful lipsticks. So I instead used eyeshadow. My Urban Decay Wired palette (now on sale!) had almost every color, and I just used my Nars Douro eye shadow as the yellow. Here are the steps.
- Line lips with a lip pencil that matches your natural lip color.
- Liberally apply a clear lip balm.
- Using a thin, flat eyeshadow brush, apply the eyeshadow to your lips. I found it easiest to start in the middle with yellow then continue outwards with the other colors.
- Wipe brush thoroughly before applying next color.
- When all eyeshadows are applied to lips it’s time to clean up.
- Using a foundation brush, line the outside of lips with concealer. I used Tarte Shape Tape.
- Blend outwards. I used my BeautyBlender.
You can leave as is or add sparkle. I ordered this rainbow pack of rhinestones, which I like because it comes with three different sizes. They’re easiest to apply with a tweezer (I used this one with a slanted edge). I simply lined my lips with the rhinestones that matched the lip color then added more inwards until my lips were filled in.
I kept the rest of my face mostly natural, simply adding some lashes for a little extra drama (I always use Ardell Demi Wispies). While I loved how it turned out, it definitely is not a practical look! I realized I couldn’t sip my rosé without getting rhinestones in my glass. So I had to try another rainbow makeup look…
Rainbow cat eye
I used all the same products above to create my rainbow cat eye:
- Started by priming lids with concealer.
- Using a flat brush, apply the different color eyeshadows in a line on of top of the lid.
- Begin with yellow in the inner corner, then blend out to orange, red, pink, purple, blue and finally green for the wing.
- Clean up edges with more concealer and blend out with a BeautyBlender.
- Using tweezers, apply the coordinating rhinestones to line the lids, starting with the inner corner.
- Finish off with mascara and false lashes.
smoky rainbow eyes
My friend Dahvi, who runs the lifestyle blog Skyelyfe, created a gorgeous smoky eye using different color eyeshadows. I like how she kept one side in warm tones and the other side in cool tones. She also lined her bottom lids with colorful glitter. I brought down my rhinestones, and she added one crystal in the inner eye and a few smaller crystals on the outside corners.
I hope this colorful post brightened your day and gave you some inspo in case you want to rock some colorful makeup for Pride month!